This were sooo much fun to make! We started this class reading a book about space, the sun, the planets, constellations...everything to spark the kids imaginations towards this topic. And it worked! We had no pokemons, or unicorn drawings (Don't get me wrong, I love these, but it's not what I had in mind for these boards...), but instead, some wonderfully abstract boards from space! Check it out!
1) Have the kids draw on the boards using sharpies. Tell them to think about space, planets; how do constellations look? Formulate this questions so they create with this theme in mind.
2) Bring in the Acrylics (I used a controlled palette, giving them no more that 4 colors) and let them start painting their boards.
3) Bring in some oil pastels for them to do details on top of the paint and stickers in geometric shapes or contact paper pieces (and scissors) for them to add to their boards.
4) On to their favorite part...the hammering! Bring in the nails and invite them to start hammering as many as they want on the board (careful with the fingers!).
5) Time to bring in the color looms to stretch from one nail to another!
6) You can glue a string to the back of the boards with hot glue if you wish to hang these!